Name BISHAL NATH UPRETI
Date of Birth April 22, 1951
Permanent Address Ga-2-345, Dhobidhara, Dillibazar
Present Position: Professor and Head,
Office Address Department of Geology,
· For over 14 years worked as the Head of the Central Department
of Geology at Kirtipur Campus and the Department of Geology, Tri-Chandra
Campus, Tribhuvan University.
Year Degree Subject University
· Attended the School and the symposium on the active fault study, Hokudan, Japan (17-26 Jan, 2000)
· In Analysis and Management of Geological Risks organized by the Centre for Study of Geological Risks (CERG), University of Geneva, Switzerland (4May to 18 June 1992).
· In Petrography and Geochemistry in CRPG, CNRS, France (1983-84).
· In Engineering Geology (Damsite investigation) in West Japan Engineering Consultant's Inc., Fukuoka, Japan under the Technical Training Aid Programme of Fukuoka Prefecture Government of Japan (1985).
· Participated in the Short Term Institute in Structural Geology (Oct.26-Nov.14, 1976) organized by the M.S. University of Baroda, Baroda, India.
· Participated and presented research papers in a number of international and national seminars, conferences and workshops.
March 1998 to present Professor and Head, Department of Geology, Tri-Chandra Campus, Tribhuvan University, Ghantaghar, Kathmandu
June 1995 to March 1998 Reader and Head, Department of Geology, Tri-Chandra Campus, Tribhuvan University, Ghantaghar, Kathmandu
June 1994 to June 1995
April 1986 to Aug. 1990
July 1979 to Jan. 1980
1975 to 1979
(2001): Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore, India
Currently conducting a research project on the geology and tectonics of the Taplejung window, eastern Nepal Himalaya funded by the Dean's Office, Faculty of Science and Technology, Tribhuvan University.
Geological investigation of far-western Nepal was carried out under the research project sponsored by the National Council for Science and Technology (NCST).
Participated in a number of joint research projects in Nepal Himalaya in collaboration with geoscientis from France (CNRS), Japan (Particularly with Hiroshima, Shimane and Kyushu universities) and USA.
Field of interest: Structural geology, Tectonics, Engineering geology and environment
Supervising one Ph.D. student. A number of M.Sc. students were supervised for M.S. dissertation. Two candidates completed Ph.D. under my co-supervision.
SPECIAL INVITED LECTURES
Delivered special invited lecture on the "Stratigraphy and Tectonics of the Nepal Himalaya: Recent Advances" in the 15th Himalaya-Karakorum-Tibet International Workshop, in Chengdu, China (21 April, 2000)
Delivered a series of lectures on Geology of Nepal on invitation by the Geological departments of Shimane University, Matsue Japan (3rd Feb., 1999), Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan (8th February, 1999) and Department of Geography, Hiroshima University, Japan (March, 12, 1999). Many universities in India.
Delivered a special public lecture on "Natural disasters in Nepal: Challenges in the new millenium" organized by COSMOS, Kathmandu, Nepal (Dec., 1999)
Worked as a resource consultant (Engineering Geologist) for detailed, feasibility and pre-feasibility survey of over ten road projects and bridges in Nepal.
Editorial Board, Journal of Institute of Science and Technology, Tribhuvan
Suprabal Gorkha Dakshin Bahu Conferred by His Majesty the King Birendra Bir Bikram Shah Dev, 1996.
Mahendra Vidhya Bhusan Class 'A' Conferred by His Majesty the King Birendra Bir Bikram Shah Dev, 1980.
Mahendra Vidhya Bhusan Class 'B' Conferred by His Majesty the King Birendra Bir Bikram Shah Dev, 1973.
"Natural Disaster Relief Medal" From His Majesty's Government of Nepal
China, India, Italy, France, Germany, Japan, Switzerland, Thailand, UK and USA
Nepali (mother tongue), English, Hindi, Japanese (spoken only)
1. Catlos, E.J., Harrison, T.M., Kohn, M.J., Grove, M., Ryerson, F.J., Manning, C.J. and Upreti, B.N. : Geochronologic and Thermobarometric constraints on the evolution of the Main Central Thrust, central Nepal Himalaya (Journal of Geophysical Research, in press).
2. DeCelles, P.G., Robinson, D.M., Quade, J., Garzione C.N., Copeland,
P., and Upreti, B.N. Stratigraphy, structure, and tectonic evolution of
the Himalayan fold-thrust belt in western Nepal. (Tectonics, in press).
4. Upreti, B.N., 2000: Physiography and geology of the Nepal Himalaya and its bearing on the Landslide problem. ICIMOD, special publication (in press).
5. Upreti, B.N., Sakai, H. and Rai, S.M., 2000. Geology of the Taplejung window and frontal belt, far-eastern Nepal Himalaya. Earth Science Frontiers (China University of Geosciences, Beijing), vol. 7 Suppl. (15th Himalaya Karakorum-Tibet Workshop Abstract Volume), p. 39-40.
6. Sakai, H., Takigami, Y., Upreti, B.N. and Adhikary, D.P. Thrust packages of 1.68 Ga Indian supracrustal rocks in the Miocene Siwalik belt, central Nepal Himalaya. Earth Science Frontiers (China University of Geosciences, Beijing), vol. 7 Suppl. (15th Himalaya Karakorum-Tibet Workshop Abstract Volume), p. 64-66
7. Ojha, T.P., Buttler, R.F., Quade, J., DeCelles, P.G., Richards, D. and Upreti, B.N., 2000. Magnetic polarity stratigraphy of the Neogene Siwalik Group at Khutia Khola, far-western Nepal. Geol. Soc. Am. Bull., v. 112 (3), p. 424-434.
8. Upreti, B.N., 1999. An over view of the stratigraphy and tectonics of the Nepal Himalaya. (Eds.) P. Le Fort and B.N. Upreti: Geology of the Nepal Himalayas: Recent Advances" Journal of Asian Earth Sciences (Special Issue), v. 17, p. 577-606.
9. Humagain, I.R., Schetelig, K., Sharma. M.P., Upreti, B.N. and Langer, M., 1999. Slope stability analysis with reference to the proposed Kathmandu Hetauda road with tunnel section (Abstract). International Symposium on engineering Geology, Hydrogeology and Natural Disasters with emphasis on Asia, Kathmandu, Nepal.
10. Nakata, T., Yagi, H., Okumura, K., Upreti, B.N., Rockwell, T.K., Maemoku, H. and Kumahara, Y., 1999.Timing of the recent seismic events generated by active faults in southeast Nepal (Abstract). International Symposium on Engineering Geology, Hydrogeology and Natural Disasters with emphasis on Asia, Kathmandu, Nepal.
11. Gajurel, A.P., Huyghe, P., Upreti, B.N. and Mugnier, J.L., 1999. Paleoseismicity in the Kathmandu valley infered from soft sediment deformation structures (Abstract). International Symposium on Engineering Geology, Hydrogeology and Natural Disasters with emphasis on Asia, Kathmandu, Nepal.
12. Upreti, B.N. and Le Fort, P. 1999.Lesser Himalayan Crystalline Nappes of Nepal: Problems of their origin. Geol. Soc. Am. Bulletin, Special Issue. No.328, pp. 225-238.
13. Humagain, I.R., Schetelig, K., Sharma, M.P., Upreti, B.N. and Langer, M., 1998. Discontinuity system in central Nepal Himalaya and neotectonic stress field (Abstract). Submitted for the 13th Himalaya-Karakorum-Tibet International Workshop, Peshawar, Pakistan.
14. Rai, S.M., Guillot, S., Le Fort, P. and Upreti, B.N., 1998. Pressure-Temperature evolution in the Kathmandu and Gosainkund regions, Central Nepal. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences. V. 16, pp. 283-298.
15. Rai, S.M., Le Fort, P., and Upreti, B.N., 1997. Geology, Structure and metamorphism in Kathmandu and Gosainkund regions, central Nepal. Jour. Nepal Geol. Soc. (special issue, abstract volume), V. 16, pp. 20-22.
16. Ojha, T.P., Butler, R.F., Quade, J., DeCelles, P.G., Richard, D., and Upreti, B.N., 1997. Magnetic polarity stratigraphy of Siwalik Group sediments of Khutia Khola, Kailali district, far-western Nepal. Jour. Nepal Geol. Soc. (special issue, abstract volume), V. 16, pp. 52.
17. Humagain, I.R., Schetelig, K., Sharma, M.P., Upreti, B.N. and Langer, M., 1997. Deformation structures in central Nepal and their engineering geological significance. Jour. Nepal Geol. Soc. (special issue, abstract volume), V. 16, pp. 115-116.
18. DeCelles, P.G., Gehrels, G.E., Quade, J., Ojha, T.P., Kapp, P.A. and Upreti, B.N., 1998. Neogene foreland basin deposits, erosional unroofing, and the kinematic history of the Himalayan fold-thrust belt, Western Nepal. Geol. Soc. Am. Bulletin, v.110 (1), pp.2021.
19. Katel, T.P., Upreti B.N. and Pokharel, G.S., 1996. Engineering properties of fine-grained soils of Kathmandu valley, Nepal. Jour. Nepal. Geol. Soc., V. 14 (special issue), pp. 121-138.
20. Upreti, B.N., 1996. Stratigraphy of the western Nepal Lesser Himalaya: A synthesis. Jour. Nepal Geol. Soc., V.13, pp. 11-28.
21. Upreti, B.N., 1996. The Lesser Himalayan Crystalline Nappes: Problems of their root Zone. Abstract, 30th International Geological Congress,1-4 August, 1996, Beijing, China.
22. Upreti, B.N., 1996. Earth Science Education in Schools of Nepal. Abstract, 30th International Geological Congress,1-4 August, 1996, Beijing, China.
23. Upreti, B.N., Dhital, M.R., 1996. Landslide studies and management in Nepal. International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), Kathmandu, 87p.
24. Copeland, P., Le Fort P., Rai, S.M. and Upreti, B.N., 1996. Cooling history of the Kathmandu crystalline nappe: 40Ar/39Ar results. Abstract, 11th Himalaya-Karakorum-Tibet Workshop (4-8 April, 1995), Flagstaff, Arizona, USA.
25. Upreti B.N., 1995. The Lesser Himalayan Crystalline Nappes: Are they Exotic Slices? (Abstract). Jr. Nepal geol. Soc. Vol. 12, Sp. Issue, Abstract Volume, First Nepal Geological Congress, 1995.
26. Macfarlane, A.M. and Upreti, B.N., 1995: Along-strike variations in the tectonic evolution of the Main Central Thrust and associated rocks, Jumla area, western Nepal. (Abstract), 10th Himalaya Karakorum Tibet Workshop (4-8 April, 1995), Zurich, Switzerland.
27. Gautam, P. Upreti, B.N. and Arita K., 1995. Paleomagnetism and petrochemistry of the Dowar Khola volcanics, Central Nepal Sub-Himalaya. Jr. Nepal Geol. Soc. Vol.11, Sp. Issue, pp.179-195.
28. Khosla, S.C., Upreti B.N. and Corvinus, G., 1995. A note on the occurrence of fresh water ostracods in the Siwalik Group of Surai Khola section, western Nepal. Jr. Nepal. Geol Soc. Vol.11, Sp. Issue, pp.197-202.
29. Dangol, V., Upreti, B.N., Dhital, M.R., Wagner, A. Bhattarai, T.N., Bhandari, A.N., Pant, S.R. and Sharma, M.P. 1993. Engineering geological study of a proposed road corridor in eastern Nepal. Bull Dept. geol. Tribhuvan Univ. proc. Workshop Geoscience:in Mountain environment and infrastructural development, V.3. No.1, Spec. issue, 91-107. Nepal
30. Upreti, B.N. 1994. An introduction to the geological framework of Nepal. Manual on Landslide studies. Water induced Disaster Prevention technical Centre (DPTC), Kathmandu. Nepal
31. Silverberg, D.S., MacFarlane, A. and Upreti, B.N. 1992. The Main Central Thrust in western Nepal: Limited thermal effect associated with a ductile shear plane (abstract). International geological Congress, Kyoto, Japan.
32. Shrestha, R.M., Rao, G.K., Sharma, M.P. and Upreti, B.N. 1992. Genesis and distribution of kaolin deposits in Palung -Daman area, central Nepal Himalaya. Bull. Dept. Geol. Tribhuvan Univ. V 2, No1, 149-156. Nepal
33. Dhital, M.R., Upreti, B.N., Dangol, V., Bhandari, A.N. and Bhattarai, T.N., 1991. Engineering geological methods applied in mountain road survey -an example from Baitadi-Darchula road project (Nepal). Jr. Nepal. Geol. Soc., V7, 49-67. Nepal
34. Upreti, B.N., 1990. An outline geology of far western Nepal Himalaya. Jr. Him. Geol. V1, 93-102, India.
35. Tokuoka, T., Takeda, S., Yoshida, M. and Upreti, B.N., 1988. The Churia (Siwalik) Group in the western part of the Arung Khola area, west central Nepal.Mem. Fac. Sci.Shimane Univ.v22,131-140. Japan
36. Le Fort, P., Cuney M., Deniel, C. France-Lanord C., Sheppard, S.M.F., Upreti , B.N. and Vidal, P., 1987. Crustal generation of the Himalayan leucogranites. Tectonophysics. V.134, 39-57. Netherlands
37. Sharma, M.P., Upreti, B.N. and Yoshida, M.,(editors), 1986. Database in Himalayan geoscience (part I). Bull. Dept. Geol., Tribhuvan Univ. v.1(1) 198p. Nepal
38. Le Fort, P., Pecher, A. and Upreti, B.N., 1986. A section through the Tibetan Slab in central Nepal ( Kali Gandaki Valley): Mineral chemistry and thermobarometry of the Main Central Thrust Zone. Sci. de la Terre, Mem.47, 211-228. Paris, France
39. Upreti, B.N., 1982. Petrography of sandstones of Sirkang area (Parbat district), central west Nepal Himalaya. Jr. Nep. Geol. Soc.,v 2, 9-15. Nepal
40. Kansakar, D.R., Sharma, T., Upreti B.N., Vashi, N.M. and Merh, S.S., 1982. Terraced plains of central Nepal midlands: typical examples of Neotectonic landsorms. In: Himalaya: Landforms and processes (eds,. Verma and Saklani), 133-155, India.
41. Upreti, B.N., Sharma, T. and Merh, S.S., 1980. Structural geology of Kusma-Sirkang section of Kali Gandaki valley and its bearing on the tectonic framework of Nepal Himalaya. Tectonophysics, V 62, 155-164. Netherlands.
42. Sharma, T., Upreti, B.N. and Vashi, N.M., 1980. Kali Gandaki gravel deposit of central Nepal: their neotectonic significance. Tectonophysics, V.62, 127-139. Netherlands
43. Upreti, B.N., Shringarpure, D.M. and Merh, S.S., 1980. Stromatolites from Kali Gandaki Valley section, central west Nepal: their age, correlation and paleoenvironmental interpretations. Geol. Surv. India Misc. Publ. V.44, 255-266. India.
44. Upreti, B.N. and Merh, S.S., 1979. Intraclastic dolomite of Kali Gandaki valley (central west Nepal) and its paleoenvironmental significance. Him. Geol. V.9(2), 589-602., India.
45. Upreti, B.N. and Merh, S.S., 1978. Geology of the area around Bhoksing-Sirkang section of the Kali Gandaki valley in central west Nepal. Him. Geol. V8(2), 797-812. India.
1. Upreti, B.N. and Rana, Greta 1997. Habitat and hazards in the Himalayas of Nepal. Issues in Mountain Development, ICIMOD, Kathmandu, Nepal.
2. Sakai, H. and Upreti, B.N., 1997. Uplift and erosion in the Himalaya (in Japanese). In: Natural History of the Himalaya (In Japanese, Edited by H. Sakai, Japan), pp. 21-25.
3. Upreti, B.N. and Sakai, H., 1997. Is Himalaya becoming a desert: the fate of deforestation (in Japanese). In: Natural History of the Himalaya (In Japanese, Edited by H. Sakai, Japan), pp. 103-106
4. Upreti, B.N., 1974. Manab utpatti ko itihas. Madhuparka V.7 (2), p. 11-18. (in Nepali).
5. Upreti, B.N., 1974. Petroleum and its prospects in Nepal. The Nepalese Perspective (A Gorkhapatra publication), p. 45-57.
6. Upreti, B.N., 1981. Geology for National Development. News Bulletin, Nepal geological Society, V1 (1), p. 1-2.
7. Upreti, B.N., 1982. Nepal- The Himalayan Desert of Tomorrow. News Bulletin, Nepal geological Society, V1 (2), p. 1-6.
8. Upreti, B.N., 1983. Gatishil Mahadesh tatha Failindo Mahasagarharu- Plate Tectonics ko pariprechya ma News. Bulletin, Nepal geological Society, V2 (1), p. 18-24. (in Nepali).
9. Upreti, B.N., 1983. Pahari basti ma pairo ko samasya. Gorkhapatra daily (Mangshir 17, 2040 BS.). (in Nepali).
10. Upreti, B.N., 1985. Himalaya- Tethys Sagar ko garbha dekhi Sagarmatha ko chuchuro samma (Himalaya- From the Cradle of Tethys to the Top of the World). p.1-30 (unpublished) (in Nepali).
11. Upreti, B.N., 19?. The Himalayas - Protecting the environment. The Rising Nepal daily.
12. Upreti, B.N., 1989. Hamro Surya. Balak ( Magh-Falgun, 2046) V.25 (6), p. 37-43.(in Nepali)
13. Upreti, B.N., 1989. Hamro Brahmanda. Balak ( Srawan-Bhadra 2046) V.25 (3), p.93-98. (in Nepali).
14. Upreti, B.N., 1993. Where is our disaster preparedness? Spotlight
a weekly Magazine (August 6-12, 1993). p.32.